What You Can Give
Gifts of Cash
The most typical ways to make a gift to SPCA Tampa Bay are to write a check, make a gift using a credit card, or donate online. By making a cash gift directly to SPCA and you will receive an income tax charitable deduction and make an immediate impact on our mission.
Gifts of Stock or Securities
By making a gift of publicly-traded securities to SPCA Tampa Bay , you can potentially save income and capital gains tax. You can transfer shares of one or more publicly-traded securities, such as stock, bonds, and mutual funds, to the SPCA. The two most common ways to give publicly-traded securities are to make an outright gift of your securities or to make a gift of your securities and receive payments for life through a Charitable Gift Annuity. A gift of securities could be right for you if:
- You own publicly-traded securities that you have owned for at least one year.
- Some of these securities have increased in value since you bought them.
- Some of these securities may provide you with little or no income.
- You would like to make a gift to SPCA Tampa Bay.
For stock transfer instructions, please call or email our planned giving office at 727-581-3249, email@example.com.
Gifts from Retirement Assets
A gift of retirement plan assets can be an easy way to reduce potentially high taxes and provide support to SPCA Tampa Bay. A gift of retirement plan assets might be right for you if:
- You have an IRA or qualified retirement plan, such as a 401(k) or 403(b).
- You do not expect to use all of your retirement plan assets during your lifetime.
- You have other assets, such as securities and real estate that you want to pass to heirs.
- You may want to provide payments to loved ones after you are gone.
- You would like to make a bequest gift to SPCA.
There are several options in making a gift from your retirement assets:
Option 1: Make a tax-free gift with an IRA charitable rollover
You can make an immediate tax-free gift by transferring up to $100,000 directly from your traditional IRA to SPCA (401(k)s and 403(b)s are not eligible). You must be at least 70 ½ years old to take advantage of this opportunity. The benefits of an IRA charitable rollover gift include:
- Satisfying the required minimum distribution.
- Avoiding income tax on IRA withdrawals.
- Supporting the important work of SPCA with a tax-free gift.
Option 2: Designate remaining retirement plan assets for SPCA Tampa Bay
Another gift option is to designate SPCA as the recipient of some or all of what’s left in your IRA, 401(k), 403(b), or other qualified plan when it ends. Benefits include:
- Making a gift completely free of federal and state taxes
- Preservation of non-retirement plan assets for family.
Option 3: Designate remaining retirement plan assets for a life income plan
You may designate some or all of the assets remaining when your IRA, 401(k), 403(b), or other qualified plan ends, to be used to fund a gift arrangement that will make payments to family members or other loved ones for the rest of their lives. When the gift arrangement ends, what is left will go to SPCA Tampa Bay. Benefits include:
- Potentially saving federal and state taxes.
- Preserving non-retirement plan assets for family.
- Providing payments to family or other loved ones for life.
A gift of life insurance you no longer need can be an easy way for you to generously support to the SPCA Tampa Bay. An additional benefit of this option is that you can change your mind about your gift at any time should your life circumstances change. A gift of life insurance could be right for you if:
- Your life insurance policy is paid up or has substantial cash value.
- You have no loan outstanding against the policy.
- Your family is well-provided for by other means.
- You would like to make a generous gift to SPCA.
Here are the options
Option 1: You give your policy to SPCA.
As the policy owner, SPCA will either cash in your policy and use the proceeds, or maintain the policy until it ends and then receive its face amount. Your benefits will include:
- An immediate income tax charitable deduction for the value of your policy.
- No change in your cash flow.
Option 2: You designate SPCA Tampa Bay as a beneficiary of your policy. When your policy ends, SPCA will receive some or all of your policy’s death benefit, as you have designated. Your benefits will include:
- The death benefit of your policy will not be included in your estate, which may save estate tax if your estate exceeds the applicable exemption amount.
- No change in your cash flow.
There are many options for donating your home, second home, commercial building, vacant land, farm, or other real estate to SPCA Tampa Bay. A gift of real estate could be right for you if you have any of these goals:
- You own real estate for which you no longer want to be responsible.
- You are willing to donate your home if you can continue to live in it.
- You own real estate that you are willing to sell to us at a reduced price.
- You own real estate that you are willing to donate if you get income in return.
- You want to save income taxes.
- You want to make a generous gift to SPCA.
Ways you can make a gift of real estate to SPCA are:
- Give your real estate now.
- Give your home now, but continue to live in it as long as you wish.
- Give your real estate now and receive payments for life.
- Give your real estate through your estate plan.
- Give a portion of your real estate and keep the rest.
- Sell your real estate to us for less than its appraised value.
A gift of artwork, coins, antiques, or other personal property can be an excellent way to support SPCA. If you choose to give your personal property to SPCA, we will put your property to a use related to our mission, or we sell your property and use the proceeds to support our mission. A gift of personal property may be right for you if:
- You own artwork, antiques, or a collection of value that you no longer want.
- You own other personal property that would be useful to us.
- You want to save income taxes or capital gains taxes.
- You would like to make a gift to SPCA.