Thank you for your interest in the SPCA Tampa Bay Volunteer Program! SPCA Tampa Bay has hundreds of dedicated volunteers who provide their time and talents to make a difference in the lives of our shelter animals and our community. Please review our volunteer requirements, onboarding process, and frequently asked questions before applying.
Requirements to become a volunteer
- All potential volunteers must be at least 18 years old at the time of application.
- Pay a non-refundable fee for volunteer gear (t-shirt, nametag, etc.) of $10-$20 depending on the volunteer position.
- Must have access to email.
- Must be able to work well with others as all volunteer positions work directly with staff, volunteers, and the public.
- Must be able to commit to two volunteer shifts per month.
- Masks are required for all volunteer positions
Volunteer Onboarding Process
- Apply Online: All potential volunteers must submit an online application. To view our current volunteer opportunities and submit an application, Click Here. Please note submitting an application does not guarantee placement in the Volunteer Program.
- Virtual Orientation: After the potential volunteer applies online, our Volunteer Program Manager will contact them via email and share our online Volunteer Orientation video if their application is a match for our shelter’s current needs,
- Complete Phone Screening: Once the potential volunteer watches the online Volunteer Orientation video the Volunteer Program Manager will schedule a phone screening to discuss current SPCA Tampa Bay opportunities and schedule any additional onsite or virtual training.
- Additional Training: The potential volunteer will learn duties specific to their volunteer position through hands-on or virtual training with SCPA Tampa Bay staff or volunteer mentors as well as what to expect as an SPCA Tampa Bay volunteer.
- Final Training Steps: Once the potential volunteer completes their additional training the Volunteer Program Manager will contact them with a welcome packet, SPCA Tampa Bay Volunteer Manual, and info about how to provide payment for their volunteer gear.
- Start Volunteering: After completing all of the above steps, the volunteer will begin to schedule their volunteer shifts using our online portal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there an opportunity for one-time volunteering?
Unfortunately, because of the amount of training required to work with our animals, we do not offer one-time opportunities for individuals.
Do you offer court-ordered community service opportunities?
At this time, SPCA Tampa Bay does not offer court-ordered community service hours.
What are your COVID-19 policies for volunteers?
Most volunteer positions require interaction with the public, staff, and other volunteers. We recommend consulting with your healthcare provider before signing up to confirm that is a safe choice for you. Volunteers, staff, and clients are required to wear masks, social distance keeping at least 6 feet apart, and wash their hands frequently. Volunteer work stations are sanitized daily. If volunteers feel ill they are required to stay home.
I prefer to fill out a paper application, can I stop by to do so?
No, SPCA Tampa Bay does not accept paper applications, but if a potential volunteer doesn’t have access to a computer, they can stop by and fill out an application on an SPCA Tampa Bay computer.
My child is under the age of 18 and is interested in volunteering at SPCA Tampa Bay, how can they help?
We recognize that many children in the community are interested in helping the homeless animals at our shelter. Please contact CCherry@SPCATampaBay.org for potential ideas on how to help.
I have a group interested in volunteering, what opportunities are available?
If you have a group that is interested in volunteering at SPCA Tampa Bay, please contact our Volunteer Program Manager, Colleen Cherry, at 727-586-3591×162 or CCherry@SPCATampaBay.org.