Thank you for your interest in the SPCA Tampa Bay Volunteer Program! SPCA Tampa Bay has hundreds of dedicated volunteers who provide their time and talents to make a difference in the lives of our shelter animals and our community. Please review our volunteer requirements, onboarding process, and frequently asked questions before applying.
Requirements to become a volunteer
- All potential volunteers must be at least 18 years old at the time of application.
- Must be able to commit to 3 hours per week.
- Pay a non-refundable fee for volunteer gear (t-shirt, nametag, etc.) of $10-$20 depending on the volunteer position.
- Must have access to email.
- Must be able to work well with others as all volunteer positions work directly with staff, volunteers, and the public.
Volunteer Onboarding Process
- Apply Online: After the potential volunteer applies online, our Volunteer Program Manager will contact them via email to schedule a phone screening. To View Our Current Volunteer Opportunities, Click Here.
- Complete Phone Screening: Our Volunteer Program Manager will speak with the potential volunteer about SPCA Tampa Bay and schedule an onsite volunteer orientation(s).
- Attend Orientation(s): After the potential volunteer completes the phone screening with our Volunteer Program Manager, they will attend either 1 or 2 onsite volunteer orientation(s), depending on the volunteer position. The potential volunteer will learn about the shelter and what to expect as a SPCA Tampa Bay volunteer.
- Additional Training: Once the potential volunteer completes volunteer orientation(s), they will meet with our Volunteer Program Manager to learn how to log their volunteer hours and provide payment for their volunteer gear.
- Start Volunteering: After completing all the above steps, the volunteer will begin to schedule their volunteer shifts using our online portal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there an opportunity for one-time volunteering?
Unfortunately, because of the amount of training required to work with our animals, we do not offer one-time opportunities for individuals.
Do you offer court-ordered community service opportunities?
At this time, SPCA Tampa Bay does not offer court-ordered community service hours.
I prefer to fill out a paper application, can I stop by to do so?
No, SPCA Tampa Bay does not accept paper applications, but if a potential volunteer doesn’t have access to a computer, they can stop by and fill out an application on an SPCA Tampa Bay computer.
My child is under the age of 18 and is interested in volunteering at SPCA Tampa Bay, how can they help?
We recognize that many children in the community are interested in helping the homeless animals at our shelter. If your child is under the age of 18 and needs service hours for school, please contact our Volunteer Program Manager to learn about our Paws for Literacy program.
I have a group interested in volunteering, what opportunities are available?
If you have a group that is interested in volunteering at SPCA Tampa Bay, please contact our Volunteer Program Manager.