Animal Care Attendant
Provide care for animals and clean and maintain janitorial needs.
- High school diploma or GED certificate.
- Proficient in spelling, arithmetic
Licensure or Certification:
- Valid Florida driver’s license with acceptable driving record.
- One to two years of part-time or full-time general work experience preferred.
- Volunteer service in a shelter or similar facility preferred.
- Six months animal handling experience preferred.
- Complete items designated on quality care checklist each shift.
- Care for animals by feeding, watering, and maintaining clean and sanitary conditions according to assigned daily work schedule.
- Maintain cleanliness of bathrooms and laundry as stated in standard operating procedures.
- Maintain cleanliness of assigned kennel as stated in standard operating procedures.
- Keeps supplies stocked daily.
- Observe animals for possible problems and report problems to the medical department.
- Assist the public in selection of animals for adoption when necessary.
- Maintain a clean and safe environment for the animals and the public at all times.
- Reports any damaged equipment or need for repair to maintenance.
- Provide friendly, responsive and personalized customer service.
- Keep accurate and updated records and enter data as required into appropriate shelter software.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- Participate in required meetings and trainings.
- Professionally represent SPCA Tampa Bay at all times.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Ability to provide excellent service and care for customers and animals.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Ability to handle sensitive/confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to operate computer, printer, copier, telephone, fax machine and smartphone.
- Ability to show compassion for animals and their owners.
- Ability to work collaboratively with medical and animal care staff.
- Genuine concern for all animals and their welfare.
- Knowledge of animal communications.
- Knowledge of humane methods of care, restraint, and handling of animals.
- Working knowledge of applicable OSHA and DEA standards and requirements.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office – specifically Word, Excel, Power Point, Email and Calendar.
- Working knowledge of Pet Point shelter software.
- Working knowledge of standards and practices applicable to animal medical records.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Activities require the handling and transporting of SPCA pets of all sizes.
- Carrying, pushing and/or pulling.
- Exposure to animal feces, dust bites and potential for scratches and bites.
- Facility operations include areas of high noise levels.
- Moderate physical effort – regularly lifting or moving up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds.
- Stooping, kneeling, bending and crouching.
- Walking and prolonged standing.